Tuesday, October 22, 2013






 
For some reason I’ve been obsessed with photographing milkweeds this autumn. Here's a poem that's lovely and has a lot of personal meaning for me.


1.   A MILKWEED

Anonymous as cherubs
Over the crib of God,
White seeds are floating
Out of my burst pod.
What power had I
Before I learned to yield?
Shatter me, great wind:
I shall possess the field.

   from Two Voices in a Field by Richard Wilbur



 This poem reminds of the fall my brother Bob was killed in a car accident. I think it's a hopeful poem. It reminds me that it's possible to go forth, live, love, and prosper, even after you have been totally shattered.

 

4 comments:

  1. I love your pictures, Ralph! I'd love to learn why the poem has a lot of personal meaning to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Rachel. I've added a comment to my blog to explain the personal connection I have to this poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Ralph--

    I enjoyed your workshops and visiting with you at the Reading Recovery Conference in Dallas, Texas. I was visiting a classroom the other day and a little boy shared his writing with me. I immediately thought of you and your book, Guy-Write. The topics on his foldable had crazy drawings and flames all around the words. It warmed my heart. Thanks for sharing your writing life with us!

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy. I'd love to see that writing!

      Ralph

      Delete