Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Squished Squirrel Poem

Squished Squirrel Poem

                              by Ralph Fletcher

I wanted to write about
a squished squirrel
I saw on the road
near my house last week.

You can’t write a poem about
a squished squirrel,
my teacher said to me.
I mean, you just can’t do it.

Pick a sunrise, or an eagle,
or a dolphin, he suggested.
Pick something noble
to lift the human spirit.

I tried, I really did. But I kept
coming back to that squirrel.
Did his wife send him out
to fetch some food or something?

There was blood, and guts,
but here’s what really got me:
he had pretty dark eyes
and they glistened still.

You can’t write a poem
about a squished squirrel,
my teacher insisted,
but I don’t think that’s true.

          from A Writing Kind Of Day

1 comment:

  1. I love this poem that is not about a squished squirrel but really is. In my class today, we wrote bad poetry like Billy Collins' Litany. I am driven crazy by 5th and 6th grade gifted boys, and today was no different. When given permission to write badly, they did very well. And they think very highly of themselves. They have all read your book, Guy Write, and I think they would just flip over backwards to have a comment from you on their poems. If you have a minute, stop by at http://kidblog.org/sliceoflifechallenge/

    ReplyDelete