Tuesday, April 15, 2014

The Bravest Deed


    The Bravest Deed

     I’m shopping with Mom
     at the supermarket
     and we see a woman
     yelling at her kid
     who looks about three or four.

     She grabs the girl’s arm
     smacks her on the bottom
     BANG! BANG! BANG! BANG!        
     about ten times, hard, then
     CRACK! across the girl’s face.

    The girl is screaming
     and the lady gets ready
     to smack her again
     but all of a sudden Mom
     sort of steps between them
     and asks: Is everything okay?
     You’re having a hard time,
     looks like. I remember…

     Mom points at me, laughing,
     actually calms the lady down,
     with that girl still sniffling,
     and me standing there hoping
     no one will notice my
     trembling hands.

        from Relatively Speaking: Poems About Family

No comments:

Post a Comment