Monday, April 4, 2016

 
Fly Fishing
                     by Ralph Fletcher

He has walked into the river.

That’s the first thing you think.
Any sane soul would pause
at the water’s edge

but he walks into the river
wearing high-hipped boots
casting out
                   and back
out                 
and back

trying to lay the fly
                                gently
on the surface.

Standing in that restless water
he fishes for tranquility
and catches it each time

he drops the fly
ever-so-lightly
on the river’s glistening back.

5 comments:

  1. 'You captured the quiet Ralph', I whispered. 'You captured the quiet.' I particularly enjoyed your closing metaphor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this one and plan to share it as a part of an A-Z blogging challenge. I also want to be sure to share it with my grandson who loves to fish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for these comments. And you guys were too polite to mention my misspelling of tranquility. Ugh. It's now corrected.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great images! I will want to return each day for a new poem. Just love "ever-so-lightly on the river's back."

    ReplyDelete