Friday, May 26, 2017

Fletcher

I stood beside the night river,
water flecked with dancing light.
A gleam appeared, a moon sliver,
suddenly: dark bird in flight.

I shot arrowed eyes after that bird
til silver tears obscured my sight
trying to glean unspoken meaning
held at the core of a bird in flight.

As I aimed my eyes, I thought:
This is what it means to die;
dark birdform winging, noiseless,
across a purple twilight sky.

Those still living left as archers
to watch that dim arrow at night
craning our necks to follow the going
until it finally moves beyond sight.

5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem! I am watching birds on a lake this morning. Your poem catches in my throat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrote a golden shovel with your line, "water flecked with dancing light."


      Dawn skims the water
      waiting wings flecked
      with light, the heron with
      his long bill dancing
      pulls forth breakfast breaking light

      Delete
  2. All that bird watching is showing up in your poems! A hauntingly beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you finding the furniture for workplaces and you need to buy office seats and reassure tables, we are serving in the kitchen tables and computer desk and seats as your prerequisites. We put stock in quality and make association with our customers.

    ReplyDelete